What is orthodontics?
Orthodontics is the branch of dentistry that specializes in the diagnosis,
prevention, and treatment of dental and facial irregularities.
What are some possible benefits of orthodontics?
Would an adult patient benefit from orthodontics?
- A more attractive smile.
- Reduced appearance-consciousness during critical development years.
- Better function of the teeth.
- Increase in self-confidence.
- Increased ability to clean the teeth.
- Improved force distribution and wear patterns of the teeth.
- Better long-term health of teeth and gums.
- Guide permanent teeth into more favourable positions.
- Reduce the risk of injury to protruded front teeth.
- Aid in optimizing other dental treatment.
Orthodontic treatment can be successful at any age. Everyone wants a beautiful
and healthy smile. Twenty to twenty-five percent of orthodontic patients today
How does orthodontic treatment work?
Braces use steady gentle pressure to gradually move teeth into their proper
positions. The brackets that are placed on your teeth and the arch-wires that
connect them are the main components. When the arch-wire is placed into the
brackets, it tries to return to its original shape. As it does so, it applies
pressure to move your teeth to their new, more ideal positions.
How long does orthodontic treatment take?
Treatment times vary on a case-by-case basis, but the average time is from one
to two years. Actual treatment time can be affected by rate of growth and
severity of the correction necessary. Treatment length is also dependent upon
patient compliance. Maintaining good oral hygiene and keeping regular
appointments are important in keeping treatment time on schedule.
Do braces hurt?
The placement of bands and brackets on your teeth does not hurt. Once your
braces are placed and connected with the arch-wires you may feel some soreness
of your teeth for one to four days. Your lips and cheeks may need one to two
weeks to get used to the braces on your teeth.